International conference: Art’s Pedagogical Situation in Moroccan Academic Institutions
L’Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS) organizes an international conference on art’s pedagogical situation in Moroccan academic institutions on november 14th and 15th 2013 in Meknès.
At the time when the modern world is witnessing an upheaval at the level of art, the Moroccan society seems to be lagging behind and missing the trend. It indeed misses it twice as it seems. It neither contributes to the swiftly wide scope of artistic categories emerging in new forms and developing new modes of expression, nor does its artistic scene catch up with universal developments and goes hand in hand with it. Second, its responsible artistic institutions’ – universities and specialised high institutions of art – internal structure seems to be incapable either to receive or foster change. This might be called sterile situation caused a sort of slow artistic death and blocked the Moroccan society’s artistic spirit. Therefore, the need to re-consider the situation of art in the Moroccan academic institutions stands as an urgent need if the current artistic crisis is to be overcome in the near future and the Moroccan talent is to be given the opportunity to freely express itself and contribute to the making and creation of a Moroccan artistic tradition which ‘interweavingly’ benefits from international experiences and at the same time travels worldwide.
As a matter of fact, the conditions of art are to be questioned in both universities and high institutions specialised in art learning and training. Besides a number of Moroccan universities that stand as institutions in which art is taught and aesthetic pedagogy is supposed to be focused on, some national institutions such as ‘The Higher Institute of Theatrical Art and Cultural Animation’ and ‘The National Institute of Fine Arts’ are to be considered too as academic centres whose primary role is to teach art and contribute to the development and growth of aesthetic taste. Unfortunately, a close look at these institutions makes us conscious of their very limited
artistic and pedagogical contributions that are below the expected rate and do in no way answer to the demands of the Moroccan society and its actual artistic needs and future aspirations.
This situation, makes us again try to bring to light the role of Moroccan academic institutions and their ability to effectively attain the designed objectives they, as centres of knowledge and artistic learning, are supposed to fulfil. Moreover, given the situation in which the Moroccan academic institutions of artistic education and aesthetics science are not at their best offering learners required training, skills, and knowledge and generating sufficient artistic and aesthetic outcome for a demanding society that is in increasing need to more artistic animation and aesthetic education, we intend to lead a debate questioning the quality of art education in Morocco and discuss few axes of taught and art that might help diagnose the situation, suggest solutions, and restore to the Moroccan artistic institutions, and thus to the Moroccan art in general, its radiance, universal position, and historical active role in shaping a Moroccan social, cultural and artistic identity.
Contributions might consider, but are not be limited to, the following topics:
- The current situation of Moroccan academic institutions of art.
- The way different types of art (fine arts) are taught and dealt with at the level of the university.
- Art education and pedagogy.
- International experiences in the domain of teaching art and aesthetics.
- Art and society: challenges and prospects
Conference Board :
- Hassane yousfi ( PES à l’ENS)
- Mohamed Amine ( PES à l’ENS)
- Mohamed Afthe (PES à l’ENS)
- Driss Meskine ( PH à l’ENS)
- The organising committee welcomes abstracts strictly on the above issues a 250 WORD abstract, along with a one paragraph curriculum vitae, should be submitted electronically by 30 july 2013 to the scientific committee care of Professor Hassane yousfi (Conference Convener) : Youshas64@yahoo.fr
- Acceptance, however, unfortunately does not include any financial support – participants are responsible for their own funding to pay for travel . Our institution pays for Accommodation and Food
- Abstract Submission Deadline: 30 july 2013.
- Final Paper Submission Deadline: 15 October 2013 .